Steps to Prevent a House Fire
Home fires are a true danger in the United States, marking approximately 12,600 injuries and 2,500 deaths each year throughout the nation. In many cases, the smoke and heat actually poses a greater threat than the flames themselves. As such, being educated and prepared in the event of a home fire is critical. Even more important, however, is understanding how to prevent home fires from starting in the first place.
Fire spreads incredibly fast. In less than 30 seconds, a tiny flame can spread and get out of control, causing a serious fire. The most deadly fires in homes happen when the people are asleep. If a person wakes up to a fire, it is imperative that they get out of the house immediately, as there is no time to grab valuables.
From discarded cigarettes to cooking appliances, the majority of home fires are started from carelessness. Some of the most important steps to prevent house fires include:
- Never leave the kitchen while cooking. If you must leave the kitchen, turn off the stove or any other heating appliance being used.
- Barbeque grills should be placed at least 10 feet away from overhangs, branches, etc.
- Do not wear long sleeves while cooking.
- Never cook while drowsy or under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol.
- Always smoke cigarettes outside of the home.
- Ensure that cigarette butts, ashes, etc. are completely out before walking away.
- Never smoke in bed.
- Make sure all electrical and appliance wires are replaced once worn out.
- Teach children about the dangers of fire at a very young age.
- Make sure that all lighters and matches are locked in a cabinet, out of the reach of any children.
Unfortunately, far too many people underestimate the true dangers of home fires. Taking the above steps to prevent home fires is incredibly important to making sure that you and your family are safe and secure in your house. Most people who suffer in a home fire say that they never thought it would happen to them. Be sure to make a plan and take every measure to prevent a house fire.