The Fascinating Truth about Mold
Most people do not realize that mold is everywhere. Mold lives inside, mold lives outside, and, in fact, mold is likely growing somewhere in close proximity to you as you read this article. Mold spores are microscopic and are therefore difficult to spot with the eyes. Thriving on moisture, mold spores often grow in places that are wet and colonies often grow quickly when exposed to water. Understanding some basic mold facts and figures can help you to be more aware of the potential dangers of mold growth and the risk of letting it thrive without professional removal or remediation.
We have spent some time collecting some of the most interesting facts and fascinating truths about mold. Take a moment to read through these figures and make mental notes of how important it is to be aware of any signs of mold:
- Approximately 93 percent of Chronic Sinus Infections are linked to mold
- Nearly 30 percent of new homes built have mold in them already
- Mold exposure has been linked to asthma, allergic reactions, and other respiratory health issues
- Fixing water leaks or problems is the best way to avoid mold growth
- Mold can grow on virtually any type of substance or surface as long as moisture is present
- Storm-driven rain is one of the most common sources of mold
- There have been over 1,000 mold-related insurance claims over the last decade
- Every single type of mold has a potential to cause some type of health issue
- Roof damage often leads to mold growth as a result of roof leaks
- Doors, windows, and exterior walls are all vulnerable to mold growth when moisture exists
- Poor ventilation inside of a home causes mold to grow
- Humidity must be controlled to prevent excessive mold growth
While mold will always be present in your day-to-day life, there are a number of ways to avoid excessive exposure. Keep the above facts and figures in mind in order to protect you and your family from mold-related health issues. If you believe that you may have a mold issue in your home or business, contact SERVPRO today to speak with our mold remediation experts!