Battling Mold in Your Garage
Florida homeowners are used to dealing with weather elements like heavy rainstorms, extremely hot days, and hurricane disasters at any point in time during the year. The combination of hot, humid days paired with incredible hot months creates the perfect home for mold inside of your garage. And if you are like most Florida residents, you likely have a garage in your home and depend on that space for storage, a place for your vehicle(s), and even an outside refrigerator in some cases. Unfortunately for our garages, mold thrives in dark, moist, unventilated places. So, while it may not be top of mind for most people, it is extraordinarily important to be aware of potential mold growth in your garage.
Building a garage with materials that would prevent mold is ideal, however, most people do not have that option. So, keep the following tips in mind for preventing and battling mold in your garage:
- Minimize moisture with a dehumidifier
- Ventilate as much as possible with fresh air
- Open the garage for a portion of time each day to let sunlight inside
- Make sure the garage door is properly sealed to prevent water from seeping in
- Keep your stored items organized and on shelves
- Keep any shrubs or plants near the garage trimmed at all times
- Avoid storing anything wet inside of the garage
- After a heavy rainstorm, remove any standing water and dry the area as soon as possible
- Do not keep cardboard boxes in the garage
Preventing mold in your garage is important for any homeowner. We recommend doing regular inspections of your garage to ensure that no mold spores have grown, especially in moist, dark areas. If you suspect that your home or business has a mold problem, SERVPRO of Lake Worth can inspect, assess and remediate your property.