Top 10 Water Damage Tips After Flooding
Water damage is a concern for anyone living in South Florida and any coastal area in the United States. Whether your home was damaged due to a bad storm that caused flooding, a bursting pipe or leak, or even heavy rains that get trapped in your house, knowing what to do immediately after is critical. In fact, many potential water damage problems can be completely avoided or solved in handled correctly and in a timely fashion. Safety should be the priority first and foremost. However, after all of the people in your home are safe and secure, it’s time to get to work on minimizing the water damage in your home.
The following are some of the top tips for handling water in damage in your home after flooding:
- Remove excess water from wood furniture, tabletop items, and also mop areas of the floor with pooling water
- Turn up the air conditioner during the summer months to increase drying rate
- Avoid any electrical hazards until a professional has arrived
- Prop up and/or remove wet cushions and upholstery
- Hang any fabrics that have gotten wet
- Remove colored items, books, or magazines from the floors or wet carpets
- Get rid of colored rugs that are near wet carpeting
- Take away any art objects to a place that is dry and safe from water hazards
- Stay out of rooms with wet, sagging ceilings
- Never use your household vacuum to attempt to remove water
The water removal and water cleanup process can be overwhelming and frustrating, especially following a big storm or major appliance leak. It is important to contact highly-trained technicians to handle the water damage in the most effective and safe manner possible. With expertise and equipment second to none, SERVPRO is your solution to water damage repair and restoration following any type of flooding.